Patch: Colored debug

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Sun Sep 2 18:18:08 BST 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:

> Is it necessary to put this into the code directly when there are already
> standalone tools that do this?  I've been using grc to do this for years
> and it does the job quite well and it even has the ability to add custom
> configuration files (conf.kdebug perhaps?).  For example, I use "grc tail
> -F /var/log/{maillog,messages,mail/info,mail,warn,acpid}&" and end up with
> a very nicely-colorized output shown here:
> http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1284102997&size=o
>
> Or am I missing something simple?

I also think that postprocessing is a better way as you often might need to
check a logfile later via an editor to see what happened, and if the logfile
contains some ESC sequences, I don't think that it is easy to read.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail