Status of konqueror / dolphin as file manager

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 14:41:10 GMT 2007

On 10/31/07, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 31. Oktober 2007 13:35:38 schrieb Luciano Montanaro:
> > >
> > > +1 for this one. This is what I wanted to suggest.
> >
> > -1, if we want to play this game...
> > The up button would work, with the breadcrumb or the text entry widget.
>
> But it would contribute to UI clutter.
>
> > And if the button is placed in a natural position, near the left of the
> > toolbar, switching from/to crumb mode would rearrange the buttons.
>
> No.  That's why I wrote "place the up button..." - don't think of it as "a
> toolbar button"; I think the UI design can be improved greatly if the button
> is not just "on the toolbar", but closely coupled with the combobox.
> Thus, the GUI would change only in this *one* place.

So, you want a 'up' button to appear before the lineedit, when the
breadcrump bar turns into it... I'm not directly opposed to it, but
there are already a lot of buttons there, two before the breadcrump
(main location/places/whatever thing and the icon of the current
folder) and 3 at the end (clear lineedit, drop down icon, revert to
breadcrump icon). I think it's clutter, and again, as only ppl using
the lineedit need it and those can probably edit the toolbar, I think
we don't need it.

I'm with aaron on this one. 'Normal' users don't need it, advanced
users can add it themselves.