Status of konqueror / dolphin as file manager

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:37:53 GMT 2007

Il Wednesday 31 October 2007 14:14:15 Kleag ha scritto:

> But non-average users (again, if it exists) that want at a moment or
> another the text entry will want the up button at the same time (because
> they are complementary). Thus it should be presented to him without needing
> more actions. I don't know if it's complicated to implement, but in a user
> point of view, I think it is what is the more useful.

In general you do not want items in the toolbar to change position, since that
is distracting and forces the user to pay attention to the toolbar icon
postion. You may get away with that for icons at the right edge of the
toolbar, but not for those at the beginning. and this icon would need to be
grouped with previous-next-home, so it should be prominent...

On the other hand, the people that are used to the konqueror way of browsing,
would probably keep using that action instead of clicking on the breadcrumb.

I know I would likely do that. So if I add the icon to the toolbar, I'm pretty
sure I don't want it hidden or shown depending on the location
crumb/text-entry state.

So for me it is either an option to keep it on the toolbar by default or not,
adding logic to options like this is only getting in the way.

Luciano