startkde - Error creating tmp directory on 1st kde4 login.

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Oct 30 23:14:53 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 30 October 2007, Martin Koller wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 October 2007, David Faure wrote:
>
> > Do you have $KDEVARTMP set?
> > Then unset it.
> >
> > It was in (very) old kde4 instructions, but there is no point in setting it
> > at all. Did you see a recommandation to set it anywhere? We need to fix
> > that, if it's still mentionned somewhere.
>
> Is this also true for KDETMP (I mean - no longer needed) ?
> Which is still mentioned here:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Increased_Productivity_in_KDE4_with_Scripts/.bashrc

It never was needed, it's just an extra precaution for people who want to separate kde3 and kde4 as much
as possible. Everything works fine without KDETMP set (then both envs use the same tmp dir,
which isn't a problem since tmp files don't have hardcoded names), and everything works fine with
KDETMP set, too.