Bug reporting for KDE 4

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Tue Oct 30 08:29:32 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 30 October 2007, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> Anyway, I considered doing something similar, i.e. using kdelibs
> $PATCH_LEVEL, for KMail each time I forgot to increase KMail's version
> number before a new KDE release, but after thinking about the
> implications I always dismiss this idea again very quickly.
>
> One reason against this is that the version string would reflect the
> version of kdelibs the app was compiled against which might have little
> to do with the actual version of the app. Granted this is mainly a
> problem for people trying out the bleeding-edge svn version of an
> application compiled against the latest stable release of kdelibs.

I agree that this is a problem. How about we put some thought into the
discussion.

One possibility would be to add cmake magic to read a file in the modules top
directory if it exists, and to define a module version then (otherwise
default to the KDE platform version).

The advantage would be:

a) release tarballs can ship such a file, defining the version to use
b) distributions using stable branches can use this file to declare
specifically which version of the module they took
c) users from svn don't have inconvenience of e.g. having to create this file
via "svnversion" manually.

Greetings,
Dirk