Bug reporting for KDE 4

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Oct 29 15:11:29 GMT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 03:45:18PM +0100, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> -A bug list view that doesn't abbreviate column descriptions (wtf?!)

you seem to assume that everybody has a 1600+ screen width and a
maximized browser window. well, i don't - my konq is 800 pixels wide.
one could have tooltips on the titles, though.

> -The search mask is probably the worst part. A search line for every
> list box with more than 10 items would be a start.

there is search-as-you-type in the listboxes. it is pretty painful,
though.

> -Purge old stuff from the search mask, like all entries for versions
> before 3.2 or so in the "Version" list box. This thing looks like a
> dumpster.  "cvs", "CVS", "CVS HEAD", "subversion", "Subversion",
> "SVN", "SVN (KDE3 branch)", "SVN trunk", "svn trunk", "SVN trunk (KDE4
> version)", "svn-trunk", "trunk". ?!?!?!
> The "Component" box is not much better.

these are defined per product. the lists are simply joins.
one could fill the lists instead of reducing them when a product is
chosen, but then you have *no* chance to find a component if you don't
know which product it belongs to.

> -Also, don't display group boxes side by side in the search mask. This
> is not about saving virtual paper.

well, actually, it is. scrolling makes the whole process even slower.

> -Make the single-bug view's text area less wide. Its width hurts
> readability.

yes. not all browsers support max-width, but hey ...

> -Make the single-bug view's text input area less wide.

you mean "additional comments"? the current 80 chars (~600 pixels here)
are perfect.

> > I don`t think its a good idea to invent yet-another-way of trackign
> > bugs.  KDE 4 bugs are no different than KDE 3 bugs, and a mailing
> > list is an medium without memory. Use a tracker.
> >
> Mailing lists certainly have enough memory for a temporary beta bugs
> list.  KMail stores mails just fine, and its search is an order of
> magnitude faster and easier to use than bugzilla's.

fine. but we simply don't have the bandwidth to do qt-bugs style
pre-filtering.