Bug reporting for KDE 4

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at gmx.net
Mon Oct 29 14:58:46 GMT 2007

Hello,

On Monday 29 October 2007, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Sunday 28 October 2007, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> > We have *lots* of bugs in KDE 4 and we all hit them all the time, right?
>
> Most of them are so easy to find that probably nobody bothers reporting
> them, correct.
>
> > There is also quite some confusion about where/if/how to report them
> > Bugzilla?
>
> bugs.kde.org is your choice :)
>
> > Heavyweight, slow, I fscking hate bugzilla (MHO) and avoid it.
>
> Well, can we turn that question around and investigate what in particular
> you`d like to see improve with our bug tracker so that you use it?
Well, the reason I don't report kdelibs bugs to bugzilla is simple: Nobody
reads the bug reports. The reason is the inital owner, see
https://bugs.kde.org/editcomponents.cgi?product=kdelibs. For example, the
most-used general component has "null at kde.org" as the owner, so nobody will
get notifications about new kdelibs bug reports.

I see two ways to improve the situation:

1. Create a new kdelibs-bugs mailing list, reassign all current kdelibs bugs
to that ML, and change the initial kdelibs bugs owner to that ML as well.
In this case, it is still possible to use KMail for fast bug searching, as
Andreas wants it.
Core developers would need to subscribe to that ML.

2. Install a new bugzilla, which I think has the feature to get notification
mails for all products you are interested in. Again, core developers had to
subscribe to kdelibs bugs there, and then managing bugs with KMail is also
possible.

I have to say I otherwise quite like bugzilla (except that queries are dog
slow, but that is a hardware problem I guess). One important thing to improve
it would be implementing b.k.o wish 97066, so I can easily filter my bug
mails.

Anyway, a temporary mailing list for KDE4 is probably also a good idea, but
can not be a long term solution for KDE bugs.

Regards,
Thomas