Some libraries are not found without LD_LIBRARY_PATH mangling

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Oct 29 14:27:42 GMT 2007

On Monday 29 October 2007, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > > Objections against making this the default behaviour and removing the
> > > option ?
> >
> > No and yes.
> >
> > I have no objections to making it the default. But turning RPATH off is a
> > requested/required feature for some distributions.
>
> No, no !
>
> I meant just removing the option "FULL_RPATH" (because this is the default
> then) but of course keeping the option to build without any RPATH.

Ok. If we build libraries always with RPATH, this means all libraries have to
be built always with the RPATH for the build tree and then need to be linked
again when installing with the RPATH for the install tree.
This will make "make install" slower.

If we don't do this, then programs which are intended to run from the build
tree will find the libraries from their own RPATH (pointing into the build
tree), e.g. kdeui, but kdeui would already have the RPATH for the install
tree, which would be e.g. /opt/kde4/lib, so it might pick up an older version
of libkdecore.
So, it seems all libraries need to be relinked.

Did I miss something ?

Alex