QT_PLUGIN_PATH (Re: Install kimgio plugins in the Qt image format plugins dir)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Oct 27 00:26:43 BST 2007

On 27.10.07 09:14:34, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Saturday 27 October 2007 02:51:41 am Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > - make it configurable via -D switch in the cmake command-line
> > - default to something inside ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}
> > - print at the end of configure that you need to set QT_PLUGIN_PATH
> > - do not check Qt's plugin path, ever
> My concern is that this will cause breakage at run-time (when QCA can't find
> its plugins, it doesn't really do much), because people won't set the plugin
> path, or will change it to something else when they install kdelibs to a
> different prefix.

How about a warning if QCA can't find _any_ plugin telling the user to
check what he has in his QT_PLUGIN_PATH?

> Why do you think that we shouldn't expect people who build from source to be
> able to install it to the same place that they installed Qt?

Because they might want to use their system Qt.

> If users are reliant on system Qt (i.e. they don't use qt-copy), then why not
> expect them to also use the system QCA?

Well, because if you want to start hacking on QCA that won't work. Also
currently the tutorials on techbase tell people to build kdesupport,
which includes QCA and quite some people fail at that stage because QCA
can't write to /usr/. Of course they could also build qt-copy, but thats
not required and building qt-copy is quite some extra effort.

Andreas

--
Things will be bright in P.M.  A cop will shine a light in your face.