Konq-e and licensing

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Oct 26 06:28:06 BST 2007

A few years ago Konqueror Embedded went through a relicensing phase
initiated by Simon Hausmann in order to move the libraries from GPL
to LGPL.  Some of the code from KDE in particular was relicensed LGPL
to GPL in the project, and had to be restored back to LGPL.
Unfortunately 4 files were missed and we have three outstanding
contributors that we need relicensing approval from.  Notice was sent
out over a week ago and we haven't heard anything back yet.  The
files and contributors are:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdenox/konq-embed/dropin/kio/
kprotocolmanager.cpp
launcher.cpp
launcher.h
mimehandler.cpp
(others?)

The contributors we need approval from are:
weis at kde.org
eva at kde.org
stefan.eilers at basyskom.de

I think it's best for everyone if we can get in touch with these
people and encourage repairs of the relicensing.  There are users out
there expecting that this code is LGPL so this situation has to be
fixed.  If we don't have a solution real soon now (less than a week),
I will rewrite the affected files from a point that was LGPL and
replace them in svn.  It's not good practice to lead our users to
believe something is under a license that it is not so I consider
this extremely high priority to repair - and I really don't feel like
rewriting affected parts of those files.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/