4.0 -> 4.1 binary compatibility

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Thu Oct 25 23:28:57 BST 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > No, it's even worse. Pretended that libkfoo-4.0.0 released under KDE 4.0
> > is BICed, you have to bump the soname to libkfoo-5, and consequentially
> > release a libkfoo-5.0.0 for KDE 4.1. However, as we have to stay binary
> > compatible for the whole major release series,
>
> Uhm, you're missing the point, which is breaking BC with 4.1, which
>
> means that this:
> > we have to *retain* libkfoo-4.0.0 for all binary clients linked
> > against libkfoo-4.0.0.
>
> won't happen. Instead 4.1 would ship _only_ with 5.0.0 and anybody who
> wants to work with 4.1 would need to rebuild at least and anybody who
> needs/wants to stay with 4.0.0 is bound to KDE 4.0.x.

<snip>

So we should call it 5.0 if we do that.  We won't need to for libplasma (it's
not a part of kdelibs and aseigo has explicitly stated that the API is not
fully public yet).  Are there parts of kdelibs or pimlibs that will break
between 4.0 and 4.1, and if not why are we still discussing this?

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne