Release schedule clarifications

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 20:49:20 BST 2007

On 25.10.07 13:35:07, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > the only thing that works better with one panel on multiple screens is
> > > that you could drag applets along the width of a panel without doing an
> > > external drag and drop; so .... a fairly trivial improvement that isn't
> > > overly annoying in the best of times.
> >
> > Well, for me its also that I'd need the space for the taskmanager, I
> > have 1.25 screens for that currently, which is pretty impossible with 2
> > panels I think.
>
> yep. there are two things i can think of:
>
> - do as i used to with my xinerama setup and have a taskbar on each screen
> with "show windows on this screen only" turned on. that quickly became my
> favourite mode (well... i implemented it so .. yeah. haha.. guess why?)
>
> - we work really, really hard on making the taskbar more ergonomic than the
> kicker one over the next couple of releases so it fits nicely back on just 1
> screen =) this is the "putting the daunting challenge in front of yourself to
> force the production of better ideas" approach, but i'm ok with that.
>
> i'll work my hardest to make the above happen at least by 4.1 .... fair
> enough? =)

Thats what I like about KDE, you tell somebody a small complaint
(seriously I'd probably be able to manage without a real solution for
that) and the response is: "Hey, there are these options.., number one
should be doable for the next minor version, I'll see what I can do".

I always thought the "show only windows on this screen" would refer to
virtual desktops and not screens in terms of multiple screens in a
Xinerama setup. So yeah, that option number one above works perfectly
fine and I'm able to wait until 4.2 if you have other things to do first
:)

Andreas

--
You will have domestic happiness and faithful friends.