KDE4 release discussion, Was: KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 25 20:32:12 BST 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >  i remember just how crappy 2.0 was on my machine then (a
> > PII 400 no less =): slow, buggy as hell, incomplete in many places,
> > relatively few apps....
>
> I have different memories.
>
> I very much recall the first KDE 2 betas, because that's when I started
> using KDE, coming from "the other side", and was very impressed. It
> basically filled all my needs (those of a C++ developer - mail, web,
> console), except for a few sites which Konq wouldn't handle properly.

well, yes, it did mail web and console well. mail is coming in 4.0 faster than
i think we expected, which is good! web and console are in good shape too.

i was thinking, however, of things like the new visual styles, the relative
*ahem* simplicity of things like kicker/konqi at the time and the complete
lack of the awesome apps we take for granted today such as digikam to pick
one randomly. back in 2.0 days i was still forced to the command line + file
manager for most of my photo stuff; digikam and apps like it have alleviated
that need completely. even konq has gotten to the point where it's great for
lightweight photo management on its own.

now, kde 2.0 was impressive to draw me into developing for KDE, but not
because it stunned me with how rock solid or production quality it was (at
the time my opinion was that it wasn't either of those things; i certainly
did not recommend 2.0 to any of my friends except the hard core people i
knew ... 2.1 was different in that regard though). what drew me to it was the
exciting pace of movement in new directions: dcop, kparts, xmlgui .... one
could *see* the future assembling itself before one's eyes.

and for 2.0 the KDE team had the rocks to release it right then, after a
hugely long development cycle which included false starts (hello, corba),
etc. when kde 4.0 started i fully assumed it would turn out nearly exactly
the same way. i guess i've been surprised that it hasn't been as apparent to
others in the project.

hell, a gnome'r at red hat earlier this year commented on how we were doing
the same thing they did in gnome 2.0 in terms of massive reworking of the
platform and what not, gave his props for the moxy and courage it took to do
it, that it would innevitably be disruptive and take a few releases to sort
everything out. so people outside of the project can see it, too.

sometimes i need to step outside of my own closet to see what things look like
from the outside; it's a great way to try and maintain perspective because
usually it's a very different view =)

i also look back at 2.0 and try and think of actually being derisive to any of
the people who had been working on it ... and can't even imagine doing such a
thing.

someone wrote on one of the mailing lists a few weeks back that it seems
sometimes we've forgotten how to just have fun writing software as a
project/team. that's a very similar observation to my "we're taking ourselves
too seriously".

> Same
> for KDE3.0. It doesn't seem that KDE4 will be the same - though I
> understand the change from KDE3 to 4 is much bigger.

yes, kde3 was a completely different sort of release and not at all comparable
to either kde2 or kde4 in the sense that it was an evolutionary step rather
than a set of fundamental, major changes to the platform.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se