KDE4 release discussion, Was: KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 15:27:32 BST 2007

On 25.10.07 15:08:51, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 October 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Anyway, time will tell wether plasma will be the only kde4.0 library
> > > thats going to break BC for 4.1 or not and wether that will mean KDE 5.0
> > > is released a year after 4.0 or not.
> >
> > just to make it very clear: libplasma is in kdebase/workspace (not kdelibs;
> > not even kdebase/runtime), is replacing a library that *never* maintained
> > BC (libkicker; heck, it didn't even install its headers so people would
> > just statically link it in to applets ... i'm not joking) and is being
> > rather forced into this situation with the advent of widgets/layouts for
> > QGV only coming with 4.4 ...
>
> Considering that plasma is the default desktop of KDE 4.0 and many/some/few
> people will see some performance issues with plasma with Qt 4.3 and as such
> this may make whole KDE4 feel slow (I know, it's "just" plasma which is very
> new etc.)

As Aaron already said, its not _just_ plasma, its also kwin which
doesn't perform as well as its kde3 counterpart or for example xfwm4.
And I don't really think many people use a newsticker on their desktop
(not the panel) in day-to-day use. Other applets perform quite ok.

> and also considering that there will be significant improvements to
> the printing support in Qt 4.4, and given that Qt 4.4 will be released Q1
> 2008 (and KDE 4 too) and will apparently be the recommended version to use
> for KDE 4 (because otherwise plasma and printing are not that cool), and also
> considering that if Qt 4.4 will be recommended it should be tested well, how
> about requiring Qt 4.4 for the KDE 4 release (libs + base + workspace) ?

Q1/2008 doesn't mean its available on 01.01.2008, it means its at the
latest released at 31.03.2008 (using dd.mm.yyyy here). And the 4.0.0
release of the full KDE desktop is scheduled for end of december, this
can't work. If we want to depend on Qt4.4, we'd need to do a release
after or at most at the same time Qt4.4 is released.

In turn that would mean we'd have a release party without a release, but
I personally don't care about that detail too much :)

Andreas

--
You can create your own opportunities this week.  Blackmail a senior executive.