Release schedule clarifications

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 23:00:29 BST 2007

On 10/24/07, Frerich Raabe <frerich at hex.athame.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> sprites over a pixmap background image (so you'd think that'd run like
> *snap* this - which it does, but only on Windows. I surely hope that
> the required optimizations can be done for Qt 4.4 or Qt 4.5 latest and
> that they don't reveal a design weakness.
>
> Two sub-paragraphs dealing with the 'this is not an issue' responses I
> thought of:
>
> a) "Today's machines certainly have the power" - they do. However, leaving
> aside that I'd rather prefer to keep at least 95% of the processing power
> to my applications, the CPU usage is also annoying when it comes to laptop
> usage (more CPU usage == more power consumption == less laptop lifetime).
>
> b) "The API is what counts, and it rocks. The performance fixing should be
> left to Trolltech". I agree that the API is *sweet*, however I'd rather not
> embarrass myself by recommending people a desktop of which I cannot even say
> when (if at all) it will perform reasonably well. I'd rather not sit there
> and twiddle my thumbs hoping that with The Next Release(tm) it's going to be
> all happy happy joy joiy.
>
> All in all, despite the fascination when it comes to visual possibilities,
> I'm not convinced you can build a panel & desktop & applets on QGV on X11
> with satisfactory performance.
>
> 3.) While doing the KNewsTicker port, I noticed that (due to lack of
> corresponding uspport in Qt), the Plasma people had to invent their own
> Widget and Layout system (so Widget inherits LayoutItem, Plasma::Applet
> inherits Widget and so on). This is necessary so that you can have e.g.
> little input fields, buttons, checkboxes etc. in your Plasma applets. I
> feel this is a gross duplication of concepts and probably a maintenance
> nightmare. Luckily, it seems the Plasma people think the same and they're
> planning to ditch the whole Widget/Layout stuff (except maybe for esoteric
> Layout algorithms) in favor if a Qt 4.4 feature (namely, having QWidget
> objects in a QGraphicsView). However, this means that the 'Plasma library'
> (which people like me who intend to develop Plasma applets use) will
> change in a source and binary incompatible way. This in turn makes the
> Plasma 'platform' very uninteresting except for a few little experiments
> for KDE 4.0. FWIW, hearsay suggests that Qt 4.4 is going to be out in
> Q1 2008 (so between KDE 4.0 and KDE 4.1 we will have SC and BC breakage
> in the Plasma library).
>
> These three things written down, I'd like to express that playing with
> Plasma applets (which are QGraphicsItem objects) is a lot of fun. However,
> I can't shake the sensation that Plasma will not be as mature as I'd
> expect it to be for KDE 4.0. At least, at htis point, I'm not too motivated
> to continue developing with it. Maybe it would be interesting to introduce
> Plasma with KDE 4.1 (after all, then it has more time to mature and it can
> use Qt 4.4 - so real widgets and real layouts).

Hi,

Question for  all really, but this seemed the best place to reply.

What about simply not releasing workspace with 4.0?  What if we just
cut off problems at the pass and released only kdelibs,
kdebase/runtime, kdebase/apps (maybe?) and required that users run it
within kde3 or whatever their desktop of choice was?

This would eliminate one of the showstopping release issues, and allow
for people to work on getting kde4 ready for release instead of
getting basic functionality working.

Thoughts?