Release schedule clarifications

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Wed Oct 24 19:08:30 BST 2007

I have just arrived from the first two days of Systems fairs in Munich.
There we collected quite some user feedback as well as experience about how
current KDE SVN (monday, 23rd october) as well as the openSUSE Beta3+ Live CD
performed on different machines.

Judging from the experience we gained there I'd like to support the idea of
labeling workspace + apps "BETA 4" while labeling the API/plattform RC1.

In detail we noticed the following:

- Almost all visitors who had been long-time KDE enthusiasts and were known
for early feedback in the release cycle had completely failed to participate
in our Beta program so far (and I know some of these people since about 8
years).
Most of them had tried to build the KDE betas, failed to see a desktop / panel
appearing and therefore assumed that the apps were not worth testing at the
current stage.
This is rather alarming given that during a late Beta cycle the targeted beta
testers should have moved from the developers to the enthusiasts.

Therefore the only Beta that gave a chance to participate in Beta testing is
the OpenSUSE Beta3+ Live CD as this Beta release was the only one that showed
a start button and a menu. Even the experience of the Beta3 was often dubbed
as that of an "early Beta" - as opposed to a "late Beta" - which is quite of
a stretch already.

I'd also like to point out that so far KDE 2.0 was certainly our most
problematic release. However even for that one the participation of
enthusiasts was a whole lot better. KDE 2 RC1 still had rough edges (more so
than any other release until KDE 4). KDE 4 on the other hand still has got a
lot of holes (calling it "rough edges" would be euphemism) in addition to the
rough edges.

While many apps work very well the workspace (plasma) still has serious
problems in terms of performance as well as quite some gotcha's in terms of
basic usability.

So in summary I'm perfectly fine with an imminent API freeze (however that
part is not my expertise, so I leave it to others to judge about it).

However calling the current state of the workspace +  apps anything beyond
BETA would be dishonest and would certainly generate quite a bit of
irritation among press and enthusiasts as it would skew common definitions of
technical terms in software development extremely.

That all being said the late progress especially with regard to plasma has
been totally amazing. It's clearly visible that we are getting nearer to the
release each day and that KDE 4 has got a lot of potential to be an awesome
release.

However we should avoid to jump the gun to make sure that we won't loose trust
among enterprise people (who already now _do_ watch KDE 4.0 closely even if
they evaluate to deploy KDE >=4.1) and to avoid that we generate unnecessary
bad press.

Torsten

--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz