Release schedule clarifications

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 24 16:05:24 BST 2007

> On Sunday 21 October 2007, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
>
>> (all deadlines are due 23:59 UTC)
>>
>> 24 October (Wed): KDE 4.0 Release Freeze
>
> I don`t really like to work in the middle of the night though. I`ve had a
> short look at the state of today, assuming that I`m supposed to tag a
> final
> release of the KDE 4.0 platform.

Could someone please explain to me the point of doing it? There will be
bugs fixed in kdelibs between now and the KDE4.0 release.

> Also, I find it hard to believe that we want to go from a nearly "ignored"
> Beta3 state to a "4.0 final" state for the platform without a release
> candidate inbetween.

Seconded

> Another issue that doesn`t seem to be solved so far is that we don`#t have
> clear list of things that are just there that are going to be deprecated
> with
> the 4.0 release (kjsembed? khtml? kjs? plasma layouting stuff which (I
> heard
> rumours) is going to be deprecated with Qt 4.4?)).

I am sure as heck committed to KHTML; and I will not accept any
deprecation label. Even if the underlying renderer changes, the API must
stay, IMHO. We have enough things broken by pointless API changes as is.
With KJS, guaranteeing BC may be hard.