KPrintDialog?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Wed Oct 24 14:46:50 BST 2007

On Wednesday 24 October 2007 14:05:34 Harri Porten wrote:
> > It's not like they've given us reasons not to trust them... I had a
> > look at the current print dialog in Qt 4.3 - which isn't perfect, nor
> > up to the KDE 3.x standard, BUT it is still rather good.
>
> I'm more of a fan of rewrites that go on in parallel to finally surpass
> what's there before they get in. Taking away things first and letting
> users wait half a year for a replacement is not what I understand to be a
> good service.

To make sure history does not get confused its good to repeat it.
For 2 years we were developing KDE4 and there were repeated requests from
myself and others on kde-core-devel and irc on getting printing in shape, but
nothing happened.

Much closer to the feature freeze still nothing had happened and I feared that
all KDE apps would in the upcoming release would not have any printing on
non-unix platforms as well a no possibility to leverage the new possibilities
in QPrinter like creating a PDF.

Then, good times, there was a general upsurge by several KDE devs on getting
this solved, and there were several proposals on how to move forward.  Armed
with knowledge of the TT roadmaps I proposed to fix the Qt stuff that KDE
requires so KDE didn't feel like it had to maintain any kde code to do
printing.  This was accepted by the various KDE devs as the only practical
solution.

Here we are today, lots of porting has been done, we have the absolutely
required functionality in KDE4.0 already, and TT continues its hard working
on making printing sexy again. All you need to see this is get the qt
snapshots today, or wait until TT releases Qt4.4 (which is scarily similar to
what KDE tells its users, btw ;)

I'm not trying to make a point in this email, just stating my recollection of
the events in the last 2 years.  And if you knew them you would most likely
not have written the paragraph I quoted above.

Have a good day.
--
Thomas Zander