KPrintDialog?

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:27:19 BST 2007

On 10/24/07, Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 October 2007 00:03:29 Harri Porten wrote:
> > I know about the famous quote "The aim of this project is to get rid of
> > the notion that QPrinter is not good enough for KDE."[1] and appreciate
> > ambition but I wonder if our users (and us) will appreciate being held
> > captive and waiting so long to have something as outstanding as
> > printing.kde.org from KDE 3 back again.
>
> So long?
>
> If you use the Qt-4.4 snapshots you would see that QPrinter already has
> custom page sizes (not in KDE3), margins per side, much better qprintinfo
> infrastructure, a printpreview etc etc etc.
>
> And Qt4.4 is scheduled for Q1-2008.  Which is only a short while after the
> KDE4 release party. For some distros the timing will actually be such
> that the first release of KDE based on 4 will actually already include
> Qt4.4.
> For actual end users the "waiting" is not what I would call "long".
>
> Now, I understand totally if you want actively resolve this instead of
> sitting still and waiting for the new version. But at the same time I
> have to ask you if you are not perceiving problems that most users don't
> really think exists.
> Especially WIndows / Mac users will currently see their native dialog.
> Your proposal would make them loose that.  IMO that's the wrong direction
> to take.
>
> That said, I don't want this to be my decision, so feel free to ignore me.

I feel like supporting Thomas in this. I don't have any coding powers,
of course, so feel free to ignore me. But it just sounds sensible to
me - if TT really is comitted to improving printing to a level where
it is very much acceptable to KDE, why not let them do their thing?
It's not like they've given us reasons not to trust them... I had a
look at the current print dialog in Qt 4.3 - which isn't perfect, nor
up to the KDE 3.x standard, BUT it is still rather good.

So, seeing the Trolls work on this, I think it would be best to try
and work with them as much as possible. If Qt 4.4 takes care of 80% of
our demands (which generally means more than 99% of the usecases) and
it's released Q1 2008 - which indeed means most distro's will ship it
with KDE 4.0.x - I don't see a reason not to let them handle it. Esp
if we can extend their stuff for 4.1 to get all our goodies back -
sounds like a very sane approach to me...