KPrintDialog?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Wed Oct 24 08:27:05 BST 2007

On Wednesday 24 October 2007 00:03:29 Harri Porten wrote:
> I know about the famous quote "The aim of this project is to get rid of
> the notion that QPrinter is not good enough for KDE."[1] and appreciate
> ambition but I wonder if our users (and us) will appreciate being held
> captive and waiting so long to have something as outstanding as
> printing.kde.org from KDE 3 back again.

So long?

If you use the Qt-4.4 snapshots you would see that QPrinter already has
custom page sizes (not in KDE3), margins per side, much better qprintinfo
infrastructure, a printpreview etc etc etc.

And Qt4.4 is scheduled for Q1-2008.  Which is only a short while after the
KDE4 release party. For some distros the timing will actually be such
that the first release of KDE based on 4 will actually already include
Qt4.4.
For actual end users the "waiting" is not what I would call "long".

Now, I understand totally if you want actively resolve this instead of
sitting still and waiting for the new version. But at the same time I
have to ask you if you are not perceiving problems that most users don't
really think exists.
Especially WIndows / Mac users will currently see their native dialog.
Your proposal would make them loose that.  IMO that's the wrong direction
to take.

That said, I don't want this to be my decision, so feel free to ignore me.
--
Thomas Zander