[RFC] KConfig API stuff - amended proposal

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Tue Oct 23 08:55:36 BST 2007

Am Dienstag, 23. Oktober 2007 00:22:55 schrieb David Faure:
> The Categories stuff is XDG-standard so it uses ';'.
> The ServiceTypes line is kde-specific so (since that was the default in
> kde2 and kde3's KConfig) it uses ','. Other XDG-capable programs only care
> about the binary defined in that desktop file (Exec, Categories), while KDE
> also cares about the part defined there (servicetypes, library).
>
> [...]
>
> Sure we can break it all and define something else for kde4, but it's
> getting late for that, and it's IMHO not worth the breakage.

Still, I would think that ";" should be the default for future lists, and that
should be reflected in the API.  Thus, I would not use read/writeXdgListEntry
but just read/writeListEntry, and use read/writeKDEListEntry for the "," one.
OTOH, that would again mean porting/breakage. :-(

What about read/writeXdgListEntry and read/writeKDEListEntry and a deprecated
read/writeListEntry that calls the KDE version for now, but will later (when
all code has been ported) eventually be re-introduced into public API to call
the XDG version? /me ducks and hides..

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS