[RFC] KConfig API stuff

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Oct 23 00:20:30 BST 2007

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 08:09:32PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 11:58:58AM -0500, Thomas Braxton wrote:
> > On 10/21/07, Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi at kde.org> wrote:
> > > - remove kconfig OnlyLocal and NoGlobals
> > >   - rationale: they are aliases for SimpleConfig resp. CascadeConfig.
> > >     it's more to learn and the negative meanings are potentially
> > >     confusing.
> >
> > That's why I changed the names.
> >
> nobody said that everything you did was crap or everything somebody else
> did shines. ;-)

now i'm having second thoughts (not generally, just this issue ;-).
i did the change and reviewed the code. while SimpleConfig makes perfect
sense, CascadeConfig at first makes me go "wtf!?" every time. that's
because the usual way of thinking is "ok, give me a normal config
object, except that ..." and not "let's assemble the pieces ...".
so while the flag bits make sense - be it for kconfig to interpret them
- the api would be more like the four distinct modes SimpleConfig,
NoGlobals, NoCascade (for the sake of completeness) and FullConfig.