KIO::NetAccess static methods question

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Oct 22 19:42:31 BST 2007

On Monday 22 October 2007, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> > You didn't answer my (implicit) questions:
> > 1) does the new widget used for progress dialog have the
> > only-show-after-a-few-seconds feature?
>
> AFAIK (this is a Kevin work) no. Maybe he can elaborate more on this.

Well you're the one who turned off the kuiserver, which had that feature, so you're
partially responsible too :-)

> > 2) if yes, what's the use case for
> > NetAccess without progress dialog?
>
> Even if no only-show-after-a-few-seconds feature exists we can find use cases
> for this situations.
>
> For example if you show a set of skins downloaded from a website in runtime
> and you don't want to show any information when downloading. That's only a
> use case, I can imagine tons of them.

Why? If the website is really really slow, then your application will be *completely*
blocked, when using NetAccess. This is NOT like kio job, where it's indeed ok to
have hidden jobs since you can use the application meanwhile. But with NetAccess
the application will appear to hang, so NetAccess without progress info is a really
bad idea [and so is job->exec() without progress of course].

> > 3) are we talking about one case
> > (download) I mentionned above, or are we talking about the other methods
> > which should IMHO be deprecated in favor of the (more standard) KIO job
> > api?
>
> download currently doesn't support this option.
Yes, and I'm not convinced it should. But at least it should remain in NetAccess,
that's why I'm mentionning it :-)

> I am talking in general about
> all methods. I can think on uses cases for almost all of them in which they
> don't want to be shown to the world.
And I can't.

> In the case we mark more methods as deprecated, which ones would be ?
All except for download+removeTempFile+exists+synchronousRun+mostLocalUrl?
To say this the other way round, I would at least deprecate file_copy, both version of dircopy (already has a TODO saying so).
I can be convinced to keep del and mkdir for convenience, although they would really
only be a 2-liner with kio jobs. fish_execute looks like a rather specific hack which I
don't know about (no direct kio equivalent, so should stay).