[RFC] KConfig API stuff - amended proposal

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Oct 22 14:03:40 BST 2007

given the massive resistance against a "proper" refactoring, here is a
reduced proposal.
these changes have practically zero potential to break anything, so i
don't accept any "we are in release mode" type objections.
as stated previously, i'd do all the porting myself.

absolutely necessary given the prospect of adding new backends is the
removal of the separator argument from the read/writeEntry methods that
deal with lists.
given the somewhat sicko mix of xdg lists and kde lists in some of our
.desktop files, the two methods read/writeXdgListEntry will be added.
it's clear that those functions will simply refuse to work with other
backends.

on top of that, i'll deprecate entryMap and state that i might return
broken results in the future. as time permits, i'll port the users.

unless massively objected to, i'd do the trivial renamings that met no
specific criticism. the affected functions are generally very little
used, so this doesn't pose porting problems.

given that i need to break BC anyway, i'd kill all the virtuals from
kconfigbase - this is a private hierarchy, so the virtuals can be in the
private class. the public methods would only call the private virtuals.
makes sense?