kde3 kde4 coinstallability take two

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Mon Oct 22 12:40:40 BST 2007

Am Montag, 22. Oktober 2007 12:20:00 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:
> imagetops is used for cases were the user does load image into kprinter,
> but does not want to let CUPS convert the file, or does have a non-CUPS
> print system, which can't convert image formats to PS.

IIRC, lprng etc. also supported that via auto-detection of input formats in a
specific input filter.

> There are cases were *non*-KDE apps, running inside a KDE environment,
> use kprinter as the print dialog (Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox, Thunder-
> bird, OpenOffice, StarOffice, Acrobat Reader....).

But how common is it to send non-PS to kprinter/the spooler?  All of the above
programs send postscript AFAIK, and the only cups installation I tried to
send images to only printed 100+ pages with some strange characters on them.

It's nice that CUPS supports that if it's properly set up, but for using it in
KDE, one would need to have tight control of that feature (is it active?
change parameters, etc.) via a GUI that does not yet exist, and an API which
I don't know if it is available at all.

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS