kde3 kde4 coinstallability take two

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Oct 22 11:55:00 BST 2007

Em Monday 22 October 2007 12:20:00 Kurt Pfeifle escreveu:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > kprinter -- as a command-line tool that prints PostScript input and shows
> > a print dialog
>
> You don't seem to know kprinter too well. Yes, kprinter shows the print
> dialog. But no, it isn't confined to PostScript input...
>
> > should be replaced with a full-fledged PostScript reader.
>
> ...and therefore, above recommonendation isn't quite spot on.
>
> kprinter can send *any* file to the print sub-system. If that is CUPS,
> sending PDF, any image format (like GIF, TIFF, PNG, JPEG, PPM, PNM, Sun
> Raster,...) is useful, because CUPS can auto-convert it to whatever the
> target printer needs.

Ok, rephrasing:

it should be replaced with a full-fledged document viewer, like Okular. Can't
Okular read GIF, TIFF, PNG, etc. ?

In any case, CUPS isn't the only backend we support. Therefore, we cannot rely
on CUPS features, like accepting those formats. We need an application that
understands the file format and converts to the printing system's printing
language (no, that does not mean PostScript -- the application may have to
read PostScript and output something else).

> > In any case, it's not a runtime issue: KDE applications shouldn't be
> > calling kprinter, they should use the C++ classes. Are there any cases of
> > KDE applications using this? (These are, by definition, non-GUI
> > applications and KDE isn't in the business of writing them!)
>
> There are cases were *non*-KDE apps, running inside a KDE environment,
> use kprinter as the print dialog (Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox, Thunder-
> bird, OpenOffice, StarOffice, Acrobat Reader....).

That is not a KDE3-vs-KDE4 co-installability issue. You can still use KDE 3's
kprinter, since KDE 4 isn't overwriting it.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358