Add stripAccents to KStringHandler

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Thu Oct 18 13:34:20 BST 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007 14:08:51 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> In the specific case of Parley, "getting the accents wrong" isn't enough.
> You have to match other language specificities: for instance, in German, ö
> is the same as "oe" and ß is the same as "ss" (but not in all cases,
> AFAIU), but ß isn't the same as β (Greek Beta).

I also think that a more generic mechanism, like stringprep profiles, are
better than "removing accents" for string matching purposes.
Other people already care about locale-aware semantic matching, we should care
about giving it a nice API (to free people from the madness of ICU etc.)
instead of wasting our manpower to reinvent mapping mechanisms.

Josef