QLabel kills our KMessageBoxes (and others)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Oct 18 12:09:19 BST 2007

On Wednesday 17 of October 2007, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Hi, Qt has a bug that acording to qt-bugs@ can't be fixed in X11. That bug
> causes the layout to not have a minimum size and you can resize the widgets
> to almost 0x0 size. Examples attached.
>
> So what do we do? Ignore the problems? Can anyone from Qt really confirm
> this is unfixable?

 Nah. The "unfixable" part is the fact that with multiline lineedits there's
no obvious minimum size (since you can stretch the width or height while
reducing the other and the contents will still fit) and "can't be fixed in
X11" means that the window manager spec has support for minimum size, but
only for fixed minimum size and not any width-for-height size.

 TT apparently are not willing to do anything besides a perfect fix (which is
not possible as they say), but I think e.g. going with a reasonable ratio of
width/height as the minimum size could work good enough for most cases. Or
maybe even better, using sizeHint() as minimumSize() as well, so that dialogs
are not affected by it by default. Well, not perfect, but certainly better
than ending up with 0x0.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz