KConfig and $HOME

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Oct 17 17:10:52 BST 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 05:54:48PM +0200, Bernhard Loos wrote:
> I would really like to remove the possibility to execute shell
> statements and stick to environment variables.

errm ... no.

> It's very hard to get it platform independent

i don't see a problem here, actually. the basic rules are pretty much
the same.
i once planned to use kmacroexpander for this to allow proper quoting,
nesting, etc. - i actually wrote it with this possibility in mind.

> and I can't find any places where it's actually used or could be used.

of course it's not used anywhere in a standard install.
this code was added to facilitate scripting enterprise setups with
oodles of identical machines.

> It's also a security problem, because next nobody will expect the
> possibility to run code in config files.

huh? that's what [$e] is for.