list separator in config entries

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Oct 17 14:31:53 BST 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 08:15:28AM -0500, Thomas Braxton wrote:
> > - hex-coding is "a bit" inconsistent with the rest of the escaping.
> >   talking surprises ...
>
> not my fault windows uses our escape char as a dir separator, but it's
> the only way i could figure out how to let KConfigGroup know that
> backslash is special

gah, you still don't get it, huh? it does not matter where backslashes
come from - it can always happen, in any value, on any platform.
that you cannot figure out how to handle it correctly just shows how
broken the design is.

> > you would have this problem either way as long as the backend does not
> > know whether it is dealing with a list in the first place.
>
> KConfigIniBackend will never *know* it is dealing with a list, it can only
> guess, unless we start saving the type in the file.

wrong. the backend will know the type at the moment the value is
queried. that's why anything but the low-level parsing needs to be
postponed. and that's also the reason why the public entryMap method is
sorta crap.

> > this just shows that the refactoring suggested near the start of
> > this thread is a must-have. we won't get anywhere without it, let
> > alone have the possibility to add other backends.
>
> I'm sure everyone is ready to wait while we iron out the bugs from
> changing KEntry to using QVariant instead of QByteArray.
> Without another backend this is alot of something for nothing

this isn't even about the planned extensibility, it is about getting
basic functionality work reliably. you screwed up, everybody has to
wait. too bad.

and now stand by, puthuhn and me will handle it.