list separator in config entries

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Oct 17 13:00:46 BST 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 04:54:09AM -0500, Thomas Braxton wrote:
> Personally I think this is uglier than hex encoding the trailing
> backslash.

- encoding just a trailing backslash is sicko. and it is how the windows
  shell works wrt quotes, so it can't be good. ;)
- hex-coding is "a bit" inconsistent with the rest of the escaping.
  talking surprises ...

> Since we can't know if this is a trailing backslash or escaping the
> separator, every backslash has to be escaped twice. Once by
> KConfigGroup, and once by KConfigIniBackend

correct. i said this quite some mails before already.

> And I'm not sure, but I think this will cause problems if/when we
> change KEntry to use QVariant instead of QByteArray, because there's
> no way for KConfigIniBackend to know if it should unescape the
> backslashes once or twice.

you would have this problem either way as long as the backend does not
know whether it is dealing with a list in the first place.

this just shows that the refactoring suggested near the start of this
thread is a must-have. we won't get anywhere without it, let alone have
the possibility to add other backends.