libkdeprint

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Oct 17 01:37:58 BST 2007

Alex Merry wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 Oct 2007, John Layt wrote:
>> My proposal is a 3 step one:
>> 1) This is the proof of concept step.  Write a basic printFiles()
>> that takes a QPrinter and a file list, reads the printer name from
>> QPrinter, and executes cupsdoprint to send all the files to CUPS.
>> The key thing here is that QPrinter::printerName() provides a name
>> usable for CUPS, which it appears to do.
>
> cupsdoprint, as far as I can tell, is not essential.  It provides
> background printing, I believe, via kded.

Without it, there would be no printing in KDE3. It *sends* the job
(that is, jobfile(s) plus all job settings clicked by the user in the
old kprinter interface or read from ~/.cups/lpoptions) to cupsd on
behalf of kprinter. It essentially is a commandline utility...

So for printing files, it is essential in our legacy system.

You probably mean to say that it could be done differently in the fu-
ture, without a re-use of this (existing, working) code?

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS