Places

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Tue Oct 16 18:26:00 BST 2007

Am Montag, 15. Oktober 2007 schrieb Andreas Hartmetz:
> > And after each minor upgrade, you do it again, don't you?
>
> I can't remember such an occasion - that doesn't mean that much...

The prime example which is driving me nuts is the new mail toolbar button in
kmail. For KDE 3.3 (or 3.4?) they decided to make the composer window
displayed by "new message" not automatically contain the address of the
current mailing list any more. Instead, they introduced a new action "new
message to mailinglist" -- hidden by default.

Well, for usability reasons I ripped out "new message" in favour of "new
message to ml".

This setup work wonderfully until I installed KDE 3.4 (rc version upgrade)!
I customised the action again.
For 3.5, it was reset again (rc version upgrade)!
I customised the action again.
Around 3.5.5, it was reset again (rc version upgrade because of limited
feature additions)!
I customised the action again.

For this reason, I refrain from customising any other toolbar button and go
with the default layout. That's why I'm also very picky about toolbar button
removals. You effectively can't add them back without having to readd them
again and again and again during the whole life cycle of the major release.

Basic message: You cannot reliably customise KDE toolbars! Any changes will be
occasionally reset during rc-version upgrades!

mfg
	Leo