libkdeprint

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Oct 16 14:00:19 BST 2007

Alex Merry wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 Oct 2007, Tom Albers wrote:
>>> Simply objecting without giving alternate solutions doesn't help
>>> the open discussion. What do you have in mind as an alternate
>>> solution?
>> You all know I'm pretty naive and do not know anything about
>> printing. So if you tell me to shut up, I will.
>>
>> I've a simple question. Isn't there a possibility for QPrinter to
>> simply accept a ps or pdf blob and deal with that?
>
> No.  The reason for that is that would require QPrinter to be a PDF/PS
> renderer (it's cross-platform, and you can't just throw a PDF or PS
> file at the Windows print system).

I doubt there were any worth-while efforts to deeply look into the
Windows print system and see what could be done with it.

(And I wonder how Qt3 did work on Windows then at all; did it just
ignore printing altogether, and not provide any hooks into the
MS Windows printing system up to now?! I wonder how all these Qt3-
based Windows applications that can create printable documents did
cope with that then. Are you saying Picasa can't print?? I'm asking
honestly, because I never looked into it...)

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS