libkdeprint

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 03:00:35 BST 2007

On Tuesday 16 Oct 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Alex Merry wrote:
> > I'd like to remove kdelibs/kdeprint and kdebase/runtime/kdeprint
> > (ie: libkdeprint and associated utils and kcm) to playground on
> > Monday 23rd October.
> >
> > As of now, there are no dependencies on libkdeprint (except
> > kdebase/runtime/kdeprint) in trunk/KDE, although the porting has
> > caused printing to break with programs that used
> > KPrinter::printFiles, such as Okular.  This is a major problem.
> > One suggested solution is that these programs talk to Cups or lpr
> > directly
>
> I don't get this (bear with me, I'm "only" a user). So you're asking
> all no-longer supported applications to craft their own individual
> solutions? "Talk to CUPS", meaning to implement a
> (complete)/(partial) CUPS/IPP client functionality within themselves?

We could put some sort of printFiles() method in the KdePrint namespace.
Something like

bool printFile(QPrinter *printer, const QString &file);

which would get things like the printer name from the QPrinter, and send
it to cups if available, lpr if not.

We should only need a very limited subset of cups client functionality,
as a lot of the work is done in QPrintDialog.  We just need to actually
do the sending of the file.

> > although they should ideally draw to
> > a QPainter.
>
> I don't understand that either; but it seems a technicality I can't
> understand without becoming a coder.
>
> How much effort does that "ideal" solution mean for the apps that
> need to implement it? How many man days of work, how much delay in
> releasing KDE 4.0? Is there a workaround possible with less effort,
> and still add that "ideal" solution in 4.1?

Looking at the Okular codebase, a lot.

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org