kdelibs 3/kdebase 4 co-installable ?

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Mon Oct 15 22:21:01 BST 2007

On 2007-10-13, Armin Berres <trigger at space-based.de> wrote:
Some statistics based on a grep over a recent checkout of kde4.

grep'ed as grep -r filename | grep -v \.svn
 - emoticons used as filename in that case.
 - kfile grep is piped thru | grep -v "#include" also

> /usr/share/emoticons/Default/*.png

appears to just be defined in:
kdelibs/kdecore/kernel/kstandarddirs.cpp

> /usr/bin/imagetops

seems to be used in a desktop and a xml file under
kdebase/runtime/kdeprint/filters/
and in kdebase/runtime/kdeprint/kdeprintfax/faxfilters

> /usr/bin/kcmshell

used around 40-50 places in the code or so - and in a insane amount of
desktop files

> /usr/bin/kfile

can't any trace of this actually being used as a command anywhere? I
might be partly blind, but kfile has quite many hits over the sources,
but nothing that looks like running a command.

> /usr/bin/kdostartupconfig

seems to just be launched from different places inside kstartupconfig.

> /usr/bin/khotnewstuff

can't find any references to where this is used as a program.

> /usr/bin/kstartupconfig

Seems to just be used in the startkde script.

> /usr/bin/ksvgtopng

seems like not used at all? or is it actually something that could be
moved to -dev packages? Even though it is in kde4 in kdebase/runtime

> IMHO it is really really important to find a solution for this problem.
> I guess people would be quite annoyed when applications aren't ported to
> KDE4 yet, but they can't use the KDE3 applications.

all in all, if I am correct, only thing looks hard is renaming kcmshell,
but if there is a script to mass-handle desktop files already, it should
actually be quite doable.

in general it at least looks easier than I expected.

I hope I am not too wrong.

/Sune