Places

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 22:03:19 BST 2007

On 10/14/07, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> Le dimanche 14 octobre 2007, Peter Penz a écrit :
> > Beside drag & drop this is possible in Dolphin already: right click on a
> > folder or on the viewport for getting the context menu and select "Add to
> > Places". Or do you mean having an "Add to Places" menu within the places
> > list? If this is the case, maybe Kevin Ottens can give some more input. If
> > I remember correctly such an option has been available but was removed...
>
> Yup, was there but got removed because of input from our usability people
> because. Basically having the "add place" entry in the context menu basically
> meant having no less than three different ways to add a place from dolphin,
> and also one which popups a kfiledialog showing the place list again.
>
> We already have two ways to add them, that's more than enough IMO.

Huh, why is having more ways do do something (unless it obstructs
something else) a bad thing in itself? I mean, if you only have a
manual way of doing something and you add a shortcut, would that LOWER
usability? I mean, having more ways of doing something increases
discoverability, right, and knowing how to do something one way and
finding out another, where's that bad?