KDE Print porting - help needed

John Layt johnlayt at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 13 15:10:30 BST 2007

On Saturday 13 October 2007, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> Okular PDF printing won't work then because we need KPrinter::printFiles().
>
> Albert

This is a major problem.  QPrinter does not provide a method to directly print
a file, you always have to paint onto a QPainter.  All the okular generators
are designed to convert the native format to a temporary ps file, and then
call printFiles() to use that ps file as input into KPrinter.

Also affected are kghostview and ligature which do exactly the same thing.

I think the solution is to find some code that knows how to paint ps onto
QPainter and provide it in kdelibs, and KDEPrint obviously already does this
somewhere.  I've tried tracing the printFiles() code backwards to find it,
but it's making my head spin!

Alex or ThomasZ, if you have the time, could you please look into this
urgently?  Such code would be useful in an early resurrection of kprinter.

The alternative would be for okular/ligature/kgv to adapt their screen
painting routines to work with printing, but I think it's a bit much for us
to expect them to take on such a workload for a change we instigated.

Cheers!

John.