setting tooltip colors

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 12 22:33:37 BST 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> It came to my attention (1) that AFAIK (also tested by jpwhiting) KDE
>> doesn't actually /set/ tooltip colors yet. As I recall, setting them
>> means calling a Qt method, i.e. I am not sure if we can enforce KDE's
>> color preference for non-KDE applications. Anyway, this will require a
>> change in libs; unless someone has a better idea, I guess it will mean
>> setting the colors in KGlobalSettings::createApplicationPalette.
>>
>> I'll post the patch when it's ready, but this is a heads-up that a
>> change is needed (and a call for ideas if anyone has better knowledge
>> than me). I do not expect this to affect BC/SC in any way.
>>
>> 1: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.general/17490
>
> Here is the patch (attached; tested with kwrite). Can I please get an
> go/no-go to commit this?

Patch updated. I would really appreciate a go/no-go; currently, we have
broken functionality (a kcm that can set tooltip colors, but they are
not actually applied to QToolTip).

> I am still thinking about having KStyle (or at least oxygen for now) do
> this also, to catch at least Qt-only applications when using a KStyle,
> but to do it "nicely" (i.e. not duplicate this code) really needs the
> introduction of createTooltipPalette in KGlobalSettings. Thus, two
> obvious options:
>
> - add it, breaking the freeze for this small change
> - wait for 4.1, meanwhile duplicating this code

Not introducing side effects to createApplicationPalette basically
requires a new method. For now I added it to KGS::Private as it turns
out only KGS::Private needs to call it for KDE applications to work.
However this means that if KStyle also sets the tooltip palette (to make
Qt-only apps work), then the code must be duplicated. Also, it may be
that KDM needs to do something similar?

--
Matthew
Microsoft: driving people fscking insane...