KConfig and $HOME

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Oct 12 07:37:46 BST 2007

David Faure wrote:
>On Thursday 11 October 2007, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>> >Does kconf_update support adding [$e] to config keys or do all
>> >developers of KDE applications have to write ugly Perl scripts for
>> >this?
>>
>> kconf_update is for updating user config files. Why would there be
>> $HOME without [$e] on user config files (aside from manual tinkering)?
>
>Well, simply because kde3's writePathEntry didn't write it out? See your
> ~/.kde/share/config/, it's full of values with $HOME without [$e].

Wow, I never knew this. Seems to me that we have to add this exception
then, because there are a few config files that are shared between KDE 3
and 4. Therefore, the file format must maintain backwards and forwards
compatibility.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358