KConfig and $HOME

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Thu Oct 11 23:43:27 BST 2007

On Thursday 11 October 2007 4:27:12 pm David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 11 October 2007, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > >Does kconf_update support adding [$e] to config keys or do all
> > >developers of KDE applications have to write ugly Perl scripts for
> > >this?
> >
> > kconf_update is for updating user config files. Why would there be $HOME
> > without [$e] on user config files (aside from manual tinkering)?
>
> Well, simply because kde3's writePathEntry didn't write it out? See your ~/.kde/share/config/, it's full of
> values with $HOME without [$e].

So each an every application that might have a $HOME in their rc file
will need to install a myapp-kde3_to_kde4.upd file that looks like:

Id=myapp_kde3_to_kde4
File=myapprc
Script=convert-kde3_to_kde4.pl,perl

Create the myapp-kde3_to_kde4.upd file, and add this line to your CMakeLists.txt:
install( FILES myapp-kde3_to_kde4.upd  DESTINATION ${KCONF_UPDATE_INSTALL_DIR})

One possible convert-kde3_to_kde4.pl script is attached for your review.

I think all the .upd files can use the same script.  So, I think we can install
convert-kde3_to_kde4.pl someplace from kdelibs.

For more info, see http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tools/Using_kconf_update

Please review and let me know if I should install convert-kde3_to_kde4.pl

-Allen