setting tooltip colors

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 11 03:26:20 BST 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> It came to my attention (1) that AFAIK (also tested by jpwhiting) KDE
> doesn't actually /set/ tooltip colors yet. As I recall, setting them
> means calling a Qt method, i.e. I am not sure if we can enforce KDE's
> color preference for non-KDE applications. Anyway, this will require a
> change in libs; unless someone has a better idea, I guess it will mean
> setting the colors in KGlobalSettings::createApplicationPalette.
>
> I'll post the patch when it's ready, but this is a heads-up that a
> change is needed (and a call for ideas if anyone has better knowledge
> than me). I do not expect this to affect BC/SC in any way.
>
> 1: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.general/17490

Here is the patch (attached; tested with kwrite). Can I please get an
go/no-go to commit this?

I am still thinking about having KStyle (or at least oxygen for now) do
this also, to catch at least Qt-only applications when using a KStyle,
but to do it "nicely" (i.e. not duplicate this code) really needs the
introduction of createTooltipPalette in KGlobalSettings. Thus, two
obvious options:

- add it, breaking the freeze for this small change
- wait for 4.1, meanwhile duplicating this code

There is also a less obvious option (that I think I may prefer, to be
honest): add the method as a global function in kglobalsettings.cpp,
with an 'extern' declaration in kstyle.cpp. This would allow KStyle to
use it, without the function being exported or declared in any header,
since KStyle (now) also lives in kdeui. Of course this only works if we
put the code in KStyle right away, which means probably going with
option 2 (duplicate the code) until 4.1 anyway.

Thoughts?

--
Matthew
If you can read this, you're too close.