KDE Print porting - help needed

John Layt johnlayt at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 10 20:05:57 BST 2007

On Wednesday 10 October 2007, Alex Merry wrote:
> We have all the API for printing in 4.0 in place.  What needs to happen
> now is that trunk needs porting.
>
> Porting involves the following:
> * using QPrinter instead of KPrinter
> * using KdePrint::createPrintDialog() (in kdeui) to get a (customised)
> QPrintDialog, rather than using KPrinter::setup()
> * using KPrintPreview (in kutils) for print preview, rather than
> KPrinter::setPreviewOnly(true)
> * removing the dependency on libkdeprint

Hi Alex,

Apologies for my dissapearng in the middle of everything, the outside world
intervened.  Anyway, I'm back and catching up on the e-mail backlog, looks
like you took the only practical solution in the end.

I'll start on the porting list soon as I get an up-to-date install running.
I'll start on the lesser KDE modules first doing the easy stuff to get
practice :-)  I'll try document the process more, then advertise on some
other mailing lists to try get people to port their own stuff, and to make it
known they should add a Print Preview menu item and slot if they don't
already have one.

Cheers!

John.