list separator in config entries

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 11:15:05 BST 2007

> > Everything works fine if you escape the escape char - this is in the
> > spec IIRC.
> >
> hmm? i quoted the spec literally - there is nothing beyond it.
>
> > The parser just needs to be smart enough to recognize '\\;' as
> > "escaped backslash-semicolon" instead of "oh, there's a \, so let's
> > parse that and uh, we also have a single backslash in front of  it".
> >
> this doesn't make any sense. formulate clear rules and provide complex
> examples to prove that they don't break down in corner cases.

The spec does specify a way to escape tab, space, newline, and also
backslash. Now if you don't feign extreme stupidity when implementing
it you just take the freedom to escape all the backslashes. As with
audio and video codecs, the behavior of the decoder is fixed while the
encoder has some freedom. The format may be somewhat underspecified
but anybody who knows a thing or two about escaping rules that work
knows what is really meant by the spec.