kdelibs (at least) : test building by default

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Oct 6 09:16:28 BST 2007

On Saturday 06 October 2007 09:49:30 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > This will help if new stuff is added to not break the existing tests
> > because (oh, I forgot to build them...), and yes it says so who has
> > broken tests more than one time because of that... xD
>
> Tests take too much time to build, if they are anyway not ran.

Why would you not want to run them?
If you are just compiling, you are still able to
pass  -DKDE4_BUILD_TESTS=0

> I think test should be built on demand, just before running then.

Sure, that's fine. You can do that irregardless of the default setting.
Its the default that is being discussed here.

I've seen often that new people start hacking on a module and have no idea
about unit tests until a commit breaks them and you approach that person
asking if he can fix his mistake.  The most often seen response is that
he was unaware of the tests. And asking to type 'make test' thus has
little effect and its just really hard to point to the right test and get
him to fix the problem.
Enabling the compiling of the tests by default means all you need to do is
cd into the dir you changed and type 'make test' and you instantly see if
there is a regression.
--
Thomas Zander