kdelibs (at least) : test building by default

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Oct 6 07:49:35 BST 2007

On Saturday 06 October 2007 01:16:33 Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> I think the subject is self-explanatory. Is there any opposed mind to
> enable by default test building for kdelibs ? If so, speak up please.

In the KDE as well as all of the software world unit tests should be part
of life.  Just like you compile before you commit, you should run the
tests to see if you introduced a regression.

Yes it takes time, but (again very much like compiling before you commit)
it saves you embarrassment and keeps the quality of the product up.
I point this out to state that the 'it takes longer to rebuild' isn't a
good argument.

Naturally I don't want to go as far as forcing the above ideas on
everyone, but enabling tests by default is certainly something I agree
with.  People that only compile kdelibs will still be able to disable
them (its only a default!) and if you change something you can just type
  make all install test
before you commit.
--
Thomas Zander