[RFC] KConfig merge

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Wed Oct 3 10:27:01 BST 2007

On Wednesday 03 October 2007, Tom Albers wrote:
> At Wednesday 03 October 2007 04:47, you wrote:
> > For those reasons, I would like to ask for an exception form the API
> > freeze for this patch, especially as this can't be done later in a BIC
> > way.
>
> Beta 3 is not even tagged and you request to make BIC changes to it?

Asking such a question before tagging is better than after, no?

Regarding the question my opinion is that:
1) KConfig is really in need of cleanup. I have not looked at the actual patch
yet, but everything that improves it is welcome.
2) Such a big change will introduce new bugs. Either porting errors or bugs in
the implementation of the changed interfaces. The worst thing about it is
that it might hold up other parts of the KDE4 desktop that need all the time
they have to get their stuff ready.

To find a compromise, what I would like to see is complete branch of trunk/KDE
that is ported to the KConfig cleanup and "proven" to work correctly.
Where "proven" means that as much regression testing as possible was done
(now if we only had more unit tests...)

What this means for tags and releases I don't know.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de