KIO::Job API changes

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 01:40:45 BST 2007

2007/10/2, David Faure <faure at kde.org>:

> kostja has been working on replacing all those bools in the KIO job public
> API with proper flags,
> but he didn't send me the final version of his patch today, I guess there
> was a miscommunication.
> I would really like to have this in kde4 though :(
>
> KIO::DeleteJob *job = KIO::del(url, HideProgressInfo)

Would it be possible to use flags instead of  HideProgressInfo (an enum,
right?) so that shredding can be readded later? Sometimes you want to be
sure that the data is really destroyed.
I'm sure that some people will now point out that you have to overwrite data
a gazillion times to be sure. The paper saying this is outdated, and the
author says on his webpage that on modern harddisks overwriting once with
random data is most probably enough. Sorry, I can't be bothered to look it
up.
Semi-offtopic: Shredding probably doesn't work for flash storage because
flash drives reshuffle sectors a lot to distribute wear evenly.