Behavior change in KPageDialog/KPageWidgetItem

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 14:11:11 BST 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> IMHO thats a good idea, after all almost all katepart-using apps use the
> "Configure Editor" item in the Settings menu. So Kate having "Configure
> Editor" and "Configure Kate" would keep consistency even.

1. One reason why apps have two Configure... entries is because the developers
didn't know how to get it all into one dialog

2. Kate is an editor. So seeing the two entries
Configure Kate...
Configure Editor...
is just like looking at
Configure...
Configure...
for everybody that is not familiar with components. Sure as somebody who knows
that kate has a KPart and a shell I can make a good guess where to look, but
even then I can't really know if it's a feature of the editor part or the
shell that I want to change.

IMHO all configuration pages need to be in one dialog. If the dialog gets
bigger than a few pages it should have some kind of search functionality.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de