Behavior change in KPageDialog/KPageWidgetItem

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 13:21:04 BST 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Monday 01 October 2007, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure I understand this. What I do know is that no widget should
> > > have more tabs than will fit it's natural size, that is, truncating tab
> > > titles or having scroll buttons on tabbars is a definite NO. If that is
> > > required (and that is how i understand your suggestion, two widget with
> > > LOTS of tabs), the tree is MUCH prefferable!!
> >
> > You're referring to konqueror here or to kate? In konqueror's case, the
> > thing getting in the way is the filemanagement / browser settings
> > distinction. Not sure how to solve this in the best possible way.
> > In kate, it looks relatively straightforward from a quick glance.
>
> I refer to Kate's configuration dialog. Kate has two groups of
> configuration widgets, one from katepart and one from kate. Neither group
> can be squeezed into one tabbed widget without the tabbar being too wide to
> fit the widget.

I think the thing to do is stop dividing it up between the two current
categories.  Is there any real reason that the user of kate needs to know
that the katepart settings are different from kate the app?  If so, then I'd
either suggest to provide two different configuration dialogs that would make
this explicit OR to still do a list, but prepend 'Editor' to the various
editor pages and 'App' to the various app pages.

Cheers,

Adam